“Masskrug” translates to one-liter stein of beer and “stemmen” translates to lift. Masskrugstemmen is a Bavarian feat of strength where contestants hold a one-liter beer stein with one arm, out in front of them and parallel to the floor, for as long as they can. This isn’t your typical drinking game.
So how exactly does this competition work? Well, there are a few rules that must be followed in order to keep your self in the game.
1. A one-liter stein of Hofbräu bier (weighting about five pounds) must be held using one arm, completely stretched out and parallel to the ground. Elbow must be locked, no bending!
2. The stein must be held by the handle.
3. Thumb cannot be on top of the handle.
4.The opposite arm must be straight down by your side, not supporting the body in any way.
5. There is no switching of hands.
6. Any spilling of beer is an automatic disqualification.
Got it? Now you are ready to compete!
Bierhaus NYC’s Masskrugstemmen competition takes place every Thursday at 7PM until the end of August.
The male and female winner from each week will move on to Bierhaus NYC’s final competition. Bierhaus NYC’s male & female finalist will move on to the National Masskrugstemmen Competition in Central Park on September 17th, 2016. The champion of the national competition will win a trip for two to Munich, Germany.
Don’t forget about the ladies! This is the first year that a women’s Masskrugstemmen competition will be held.
Last year’s national winner was Bierhaus NYC’s finalist. Jim Banko, representing Bierhaus, held his stein for 17 minutes and 11 seconds!
Come out to Bierhaus NYC Thursdays at 7PM to test your strength and enjoy a cold Hofbräu bier after you're finished!
photo credit : http://germanparadenyc.org/